Written on Sunday - I have had trouble getting online lately, I really tried!!
I went yesterday to Kibera again for a visit. I went to Daniel’s house and met his mother. He told me that his mom there was not his real mom because his parents had died when he was young. His new parents had taken in him and his two siblings, plus had their own children. His new Mom is a nun at a local church and makes money braiding people’s hair. His Dad is an uncertified mechanic who does odd jobs. And on that they support the whole family. I can’t imagine.
Today I baked cookies! It was a little tricky given no running water, a gas stove and no cookie sheets, but I managed. And I only burned one batch, haha. Tomorrow is my host’s daughter’s fourth birthday so I made them for her, but we shall see if they last until tomorrow!
One odd Kenyan thing is that the security guards are required by law to wear helmets, and the ones they wear look exactly like baseball helmets. It’s hard not to snicker when I walk down the street and see a bunch of baseball players standing at the doors of stores. They are even in unifiorm!!
********
Live update: On Monday I had a really good meeting with Patrick and some of the other guys at the school. I showed them my draft proposal and they really liked it. We went through and talked about some other ideas and they said that they wanted to do more things like this, so I suggested we do a strategic plan for the school and they agreed! So now I am heading up the creation of the plan as well as hopefully sharing some of my other (AIESEC gained) knowledge with the staff at the school. I like doing the teaching but I am also glad to have the chance to do some more admin and strategic work. Yay!
School tidbit - when a student does well the other students clap and sing "Well done, well done, name here, keep it up". And if they didn't do so well they sing "Well done, well done, name here, pull up your socks". It's so cute!
This weekend I will hopefully be going to Lake Victoria to visit another project run through Humanist in a more rural setting. And next week the kids have mid-term exams so I am very curious about how they will do!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Hey look! A comment! Glad your AIESEC (note correct spelling) knowledge is coming in handy. What do Patrick and the other teachers think of your puzzle days and experiments?
ReplyDeleteAlso - how does running water affect cookie making? You don't use water in cookies.
Anyways, it is always good to hear from you, and I like your blog.
I think Patrick is pleased with the puzzles but sees it more as a fun thing whereas I see it more as a learning tool.
ReplyDeleteRunning water is used for cleaning, and general usefulness :)
More comments people!!