Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Start of a New Year

Sorry for the long absence. The week after we got back was very mellow. I watched a lot of movies, finished the book I started on the island and did some walking around the neighbourhood. Very relaxing. Daudo came home about week after us and we had Mexican food (Bonnie I used your tortilla recipe). Then Marco returned the following Wednesday. The beginning of last week was just to get everything started again and prepare some materials for the end of the week, which was crazy!

On Thursday and Friday all day we had our second Team Days, planning out our next 6 months, setting goals and developing strategies. There were long discussions and lengthy debates. After two full days it was finally Saturday… and our first AIESEC event!

On Saturday we had all our members come for a complete day of training all about the TEAM. We did team building activities, did the Belbin test, talked about Team Management and about building Team Culture. Overall I think the members enjoyed it a lot, even though everyone was very tired at the end of the day. Some of the went home, and some of the stayed with us for the other big event of Saturday – The double birthday party. It was Lilian and Daudo’s birthdays on Friday and Sunday so on Saturday we had a party at Daudo’s uncles house with food provided by his aunt (a professional chef). It was delicious and the cake was amazing. Our Portuguese friends came, as well as some more of Daudo’s family. It was nice but I was totally beat by the end of the day.

I did nothing but read all day Sunday to recover after three days of intense work. But it was also fun and very productive. We now have much more direction and we know what our goals will be until July.

For the next 5 or 6 weeks, we will be having training sessions with our members about 2 or 3 times a week to get them ready for the coming semester. I think they are excited about what is ahead, which is awesome. We just have to give them the skills and the knowledge that they need in order to start working and learning by doing.

We have a bunch of other things that we are working on as well, including building some new partnerships, fundraising, sending some Mozambicans on exchange and starting to plan our national conference. There’s lots to do! Plus we have some plans to visit a few more (slightly closer) places around Mozambique.

No pictures today because nobody left me a comment on my last double blog!!!!

2 comments:

  1. Okay. I'll comment. How old are Lillian and Daudo? I think you told me once but I forget. I really enjoyed the pictures and I promise to comment more. Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jess, it's Uncle Gary from UK and thought I had better comment too!! Your Dad sent me the link to your Blogg and have been reading with interest over the last few weeks. Sounds like you are enjoying yourself whilst doing something very important, so good for you. Love the pictures you post and it all looks very busy, but relaxed at the same time! Will keep reading and look forward to more comming out of Africa. Happy New year to you.

    ReplyDelete