The first was at UEM, the big public university. We had a good turnout and the presentations and workshops that we ran were good (according to the students). Almost too good I think, because we ended up with more than 100 applications to be members of AIESEC, even though we are only planning to select 20! The students are really interested in AIESEC, which is great! Now the hard part is deciding who to choose.
On Tuesday we had our event at ISCTEM, a smaller private university. It’s a tougher crowd to get excited about things, so we didn’t have quite as good a turnout, but we still ended up with more than 50 applications after two weeks of recruitment, which is good. Again, we will be selecting around 20.
Now the interviews are beginning and soon we will have 40 brand new AIESEC in Mozambique members! Very exciting! It’s my job to coordinate the recruitment at both universities, so this will be the payoff for several weeks of work (with a lot of help from Lilian as well). Of course things don’t end there. Once we have the new members, we have to teach them about the organization and what they can do. Part of this initiative will include our very first national conference, which I am also responsible for. We should have around 50-60 people at our 2 1/2 day conference at the beginning of May. I have an OC (Organizing Committee) working with me to plan everything. It’s going to be a big challenge, but I’m hoping that it will set the bar high for future conferences. As you might guess from my last blog entry, I’m a little concerned about the hotel we will be working with (which hasn’t been selected yet), but I think we will manage, in a Mozambican way, to pull it all together.

That's great there is so much interest in AIESEC. Hopefully the 20 you select from each university will have lasting motivation and go on to excel in future leadership roles.
ReplyDeleteSounds good. How do you select the lucky 20? Did you have quotas in AIESEC UVic as well, or is this because you are just starting up? Anyways, I am sure you will do an awesome job at conference planning, dispite any hotel issues.
ReplyDelete@Jon: Whoa, that sounds eerily profound!
ReplyDelete@Bonnie: We are doing interviews and evaluating them. We didn't have a limit at UVic, but here we are just starting so we don't want to overload ourselves. Plus in Vic we never had 100+ applications :P