I slept in late and then made my self a big stack of pancakes to start the day. Daudo is in South Africa for the weekend for an AIESEC meeting and Lilian went to the beach with some others. So it’s just Marco and me at home this weekend. We decided it would be a good day to hit up the Natural History Museum. I wasn’t sure when they are open, so I looked up their number in the phone book, only to find out they weren’t listed! Rather strange. But we called another museum (which is closed for renovations, too bad) and they told us it was open.
We hoped on chapa and head to Polana. The Museum itself is in a really nice colonial style building that is well maintained
It’s a decent size, filled mostly with exhibits on the animals native to the area. There was a whole room of reptiles, another of fish, another of mammals, you get the idea. They even had a whole room of bug (Bonnie would have DIED!)
At the end we finally made it to the ethnography room. I was not expecting, but hoping there would be some early hominid specimens, though I can’t remember ever learning about specimens from Mozambique. Well, there weren’t any but they did have a nice collection of ethnographic materials – pictures, pottery, musical instruments, basketry. It is rather funny actual, as Marco commented, that most of the things that were in the museum could be seen every day in use on the streets.
After the museum Marco had an appointment so I went for a walk around Polana. I wandered over to the waterfront where I found these benches. At least they are promoting awareness!
It reads: "Prove your love, take the HIV test with me"
I walked a bit more and stopped for an icecream cone, which proceeded to melt all over me, so I went to the mall to use the washroom. I stayed in the mall for a while. There was a nice store that had some very African style dresses. I asked how much they were – 1500MT (~$50) !! So I didn’t buy anything. The as I was walking back to the chapa stop, I saw some nice dresses and other clothes on the street. The lady who was selling them was really nice and we talked for quite a while. Of course she quoted me high prices, but in the end I bought a dress and a top for 600MT (~$20) which was probably still a bit overpriced but not a bad deal.
Overall a very nice day. Now I just have to make plans for Sunday!

The museum building is gorgeous. Not too crazy about the bugs though. Sorry Bonnie. Nice to talk to you on Sunday. Take care Mom
ReplyDeleteHey Jess
ReplyDeleteGlad you finally got some time off to do interesting things. But, I am sorry to inform you, the first picture is of crabs, which are crustaceans, not insects. I recommend that you spend tomorrow looking at lots of insects, and taking their pictures as punishment.