Monday, November 30, 2009

South Africa!

I forgot to mention one thing (well, probably more) on my Friday update. When Lilian and I were walking in to ISCTEM on Friday, we say someone cutting the grass of the headquarters of one of the big cell phone companies. Normal right? But he was cutting the grass with a machete!

Friday evening proved to be very busy. Daudo rushed home saying he had received a call from AI (AIESEC International) saying that the African representative on the steering team couldn’t attend their meeting, and that he was the only other MCP from Africa that could come, so that evening we went to the travel agent and booked him a ticket to the Netherlands! He’s gone until next Monday.

On Friday night I made sweet and sour meatballs and Vera was very amused. She asked me what I was making, and I explained what a meatball was to her. She asked what I was putting in the sauce and when I told her, she gave me quite the face. Then I started ripping little pieces of bread, and she raised an eyebrow, then more when I dumped an egg on top, and more when I dumped the meat in after it. But she was also excited to learn. She stayed late because she wanted to cook with me and she asked us to save her some so she could try it on Monday. Then she had to run off to church.

Saturday was pretty quiet. I spent most of the day reading (Mordacai Richler, very good).

Today, Sunday, we went to South Africa!! We left early in the morning and drove to a park close by. Not Kruger Park (this time) but a smaller one that was free to get into. We spend a couple hours there, and saw some animals. Impalas, zebras, warthogs, onyxes.

These two were totally posing!



Who are you lookin’ at?



We stopped for lunch at Wimpy’s and randomly found one our new members there. Weird. In the afternoon we tried to go to Kruger Park so we went to the Crocodile Bridge Gate. Except there was no bridge and the road was completely washed out by the river.

Crocodile “Bridge” Gate. I think someone missed a memo.



Crossing the border was no trouble, but took some time. Getting the stamps on the way back in took forever, but that was the case for everyone there. While we were waiting, we started talking to some of the other people there – a Brazilian guy and a couple on their honeymoon from Israel. Their visas were taking forever, so their bus left without them. They were told they would have to wait for the next bus and hope there were seats free. So we gave them a ride to Maputo instead. It was quite funny, because they were asking us about touristy things to do in Maputo and Mozambique and we just went “uhh…. well…..” because we haven’t really done much touristy stuff ourselves. They knew more about the best beaches and hot spots than we did!

So it was a good weekend overall. Now Daudo is gone for the week, so it’s going to be a productive week I am sure ;)

P.S. We have been having a LOT of thunderstorms here. One on Friday and again tonight. We lost power but only for a few minutes. But the bolts were right over head and the thunder was almost deafening! I wouldn’t want to be caught outside in one of these. Knock on wood.

1 comment: