On Tuesday night I went out for dinner. We (another person who works at Humanist and his girlfriend and I) went to a pretty fancy place that is listed as a "must visit" in my tourist guide. I had baked potatoes, pizza, chips (fries)... oh and also Ostrich and Crocodile :) For the record, ostrich is very delicious. Croc is not bad either!
After eating we went to watch the live taping of a comedy show that is very popular here in Kenya, called Churchill Live. It was packed so I couldn't see all that well, but it was really neat to see the set and see some of the interviews live. Plus I missed the show when it aired on Thursday so good thing I saw the real thing first.
This week was pretty good. We did review in classes. I tried to make it interesting my having the kids solve math problems to find the hidden pirates treasure (except the didn't know what pirates were... so I had to explain) and do some math crossword puzzles. We had game shows and also did some actual practice questions.
For puzzles I did another logic puzzle, and introduced them to simple sudokus, with only 1-4. It was actually the first time I had ever done a sudoku, haha.
We have also been working hard on admin stuff, trying to work on the strategic plan and also get the schools financial stability sorted out. There have been lots of emails and letter writing to sponsors to ask for help and getting things clarified so we know where to go from here. Patrick has been asking for my advice on almost everything, which is good experience for me. Last night after puzzles we stayed at the school till late (using candlelight) and worked on putting strategies into the strategic plan. We have still some more to do - assigning tasks, deadlines, etc. - but we are almost there. I made a couple suggestions for new things to try at the school which were well received, so I was excited about that.
Other than that... the kids laugh when I try to say something in kiswahili, but I think they appreciate me trying. Patrick's son (who is around 2 years old) likes to shake my hand and then giggle uncontrollably. Today he visited our classes and the students thought this was hilarious (which I guess it is). He only does this when he shakes MY hand. One of the teachers also has a son around 2 who sometimes comes to the school, but he is terrified of me. He will run away when he sees me and when the kids try to push him towards me he starts to cry. I guess I am really scary!!
Next week I am going to take two of the teachers to the Internet cafe and help them to set up email accounts. They were asking me a couple weeks ago how email works, because they had never used one before. So I explained and they asked if I could help them make one. So hopefully next week we can find some time to do that. It's hard to imagine a life without email!! But it would be a good way to keep in touch.
I think that's it for now. Hopefully more soon :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Terrifying and amusing toddlers - nice work Jess. Pizza, fries, and ostrich, quite the spread :).
ReplyDelete