Hey, sorry for not writing for a while. I was barely online at all last week because we were very busy with interviews.
On Tuesday we had our infosession at ISCTE and booked the interviews, 25 in total for 6 positions. We did interviews all day Wed and Fri, as well as Thurs morning. Thursday afternoon we hosted an event around global issues at the other university, UEM. It was a great success. We had about 50 people come and three great speakers, all AIESEC alumni. Since I couldn’t understand, it was my job to take picture, which was fine with me! So after a very long week we we glad to have our weekend break.
We had a pretty mellow weekend. I made shepherd’s pie and Yorkshire pudding for dinner last night. On Saturday night we did some dancing and I tried to learn some typical Mozambican styles. One is originally from Angola and another is more of a modern version.
Today we have to select the best candidates to form the two new executive boards of AIESEC in Mozambique! This week we will officially have the first members and this weekend is our new members training conference. I’m really excited. During some of the interviews, we met some amazing people and I was thinking to myself “I can’t wait to work with this person”.
This week is mostly planning the conference and starting to do EP recruitment with the graduating students. Next week I will have lots more to report.
A couple other things:
If anyone remembers way back to my Brazil blog, I mentioned that it is very common to have small cars. There were hardly any SUVs or trucks. Here is the opposite. The driving is crazy, so everyone wasn’t to have the bigger beast. SUVs and trucks are the norm and smaller cars are rare.
Mozambicans are also more patriotic than Kenyans. One guy told me this was because the current president, Guebuza, made an effort to increase patriotism among the people. But whereas Kenyans tend to identify themselves by tribe, I have not heard about any tribal groups here. Everyone says they are Mozambican. Mozambique is actually larger than Kenya (I think) and I think it is more nationally unified.
Sorry no pictures today. I need to download the latest ones but they are at home!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Certainly sounds like you have been very busy and successful. Congrats. I assume you got your Visa problems all sorted out? mis ya Mom
ReplyDeleteGuess you are busy preping for new member's training conference. Sounds like you've drummed up quite a bit of interest in AIESEC at the Mozambican universities. Are bicycles ridden in those parts? or no room between the big trucks? Why are you too busy to upload pictures? There's some people out there where you might think "I can't work with this person" hopefully not to many of them get selected for EB.
ReplyDeleteHi Jess
ReplyDeleteHave you picked your team yet? Did you use my yorkshire pudding recipe? You need to learn lots of mozambiquian dances, and then when you come back you can teach me, and I will bring you to Scottish Country Dancing.
Is it raining in Mozambique? It is raining here. Have you done any exciting non-Aisec things? Like found cool bugs?
1) Visa is okay for now, but still trying to get it sorted out for the long term
ReplyDelete2) I have seen a few bikes here, but it's not common. I don't think I would feel safe riding on on these streets!
3) We have almost picked the teams. Yes, I used your recipe, but I did it with some corn flour sor it turned out a little weird. I did take a picture of a giant worm yesterday, just for you ;)